|تعداد مشاهده مقاله||111,561,595|
|تعداد دریافت فایل اصل مقاله||86,198,761|
The surface modification of Nitinol superelastic alloy with alkaline-heat treatment and hydroxyapatite/chitosan composite coating for biomedical applications
|Journal of Ultrafine Grained and Nanostructured Materials|
|دوره 53، شماره 2، اسفند 2020، صفحه 166-176 اصل مقاله (2.21 M)|
|نوع مقاله: Research Paper|
|شناسه دیجیتال (DOI): 10.22059/jufgnsm.2020.02.08|
|Leila Fathyunes* 1؛ Seyed Omid Reza Sheykholeslami2|
|1Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Bonab, 5551761167, Bonab, Iran.|
|2Faculty of Materials Engineering, Research Center for Advanced Materials, Sahand University of Technology, 5133511996, Tabriz, Iran.|
|In the present work, the surface modification of Nitinol was carried out by a two-step process consisting of pretreatment and applying the bioactive composite coating to extend its biomedical applications. For pretreatment, we used a combination of chemical etching, boiling in distilled water and alkaline-heat treatment. According to the results of Raman and grazing-incidence X-ray analysis, the surface layer formed on the pretreated Nitinol was consisted of rutile phase and sodium titanate phases. The pretreatment significantly decreased the concentration of Ni ions released from Nitinol alloy into Ringer's solution during 10 days immersion from 126.6 ppb to 5.3 ppb. Moreover, this pretreatment process did not have the negative effect on the superelasticity of the Nitinol alloy. In the following, we used a composite coating of hydroxyapatite/chitosan on the pretreated Nitinol. This coating was applied using one-step cathodic electrophoretic deposition from suspension containing 5 g/L hydroxyapatite and 0.5 g/L chitosan at different voltages of 30, 40 and 50 V/cm2. A uniform coating with acceptable quality was obtained by electrophoretic deposition at 40 V/cm2 for 120 s. The morphology of this coating was studied using scanning electron microscope and Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy analysis. The findings confirmed fabrication of a crack free morphology, which was consisted of hydroxyapatite and chitosan. Finally, according to the results of potentiodynamic polarization test, the corrosion current density for bare, pretreated and pretreated/coated Nitinol were calculated about 2.63, 1.94 and 0.75 μA/cm2, indicating the effect of pretreatment and applying hydroxyapatite/chitosan coating on decreasing the corrosion rate of Nitinol.|
|Nitinol؛ Pretreatment؛ Hydroxyapatite؛ Chitosan؛ Electrophoretic deposition؛ Ni ions release|
2. Qiu D, Wang A, Yin Y. Characterization and corrosion behavior of hydroxyapatite/zirconia composite coating on NiTi fabricated by electrochemical deposition. Applied Surface Science. 2010;257(5):1774-8.
3. Khalili V, Khalil-Allafi J, Sengstock C, Motemani Y, Paulsen A, Frenzel J, et al. Characterization of mechanical properties of hydroxyapatite–silicon–multi walled carbon nano tubes composite coatings synthesized by EPD on NiTi alloys for biomedical application. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials. 2016;59:337-52.
4. Constant C, Nichols S, Wagnac É, Petit Y, Desrochers A, Braïlovski V. Biocompatibility and mechanical stability of Nitinol as biomaterial for intra-articular prosthetic devices. Materialia. 2020;9:100567.
5. Chakraborty R, Raza MS, Datta S, Saha P. Synthesis and characterization of nickel free titanium–hydroxyapatite composite coating over Nitinol surface through in-situ laser cladding and alloying. Surface and Coatings Technology. 2019;358:539-50.
6. Sheykholeslami SOR, Fathyunes L, Etminanfar M, Khalil-Allafi J. In-vitro biological behavior of calcium phosphate coating applied on nanostructure surface of anodized Nitinol alloy. Materials Research Express. 2019;6(9):095407.
7. Shabalovskaya SA, Anderegg J, Laab F, Thiel PA, Rondelli G. Surface conditions of Nitinol wires, tubing, and as-cast alloys. The effect of chemical etching, aging in boiling water, and heat treatment. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. 2003;65B(1):193-203.
8. Etminanfar MR, Khalil-Allafi J, Montaseri A, Vatankhah-Barenji R. Endothelialization and the bioactivity of Ca-P coatings of different Ca/P stoichiometry electrodeposited on the Nitinol superelastic alloy. Materials Science and Engineering: C. 2016;62:28-35.
10. Say Y, Aksakal B. Enhanced corrosion properties of biological NiTi alloy by hydroxyapatite and bioglass based biocomposite coatings. Journal of Materials Research and Technology. 2020;9(2):1742-9.
11. Fathyunes L, Khalil-Allafi J, Marashi-Najafi F. Effect of pulsed current densities on co-electrodeposition of Graphene Oxide/Calcium-Phosphate coatings and their biocompatibility. Journal of Ultrafine Grained and Nanostructured Materials. 2019 Jun 1;52(1):57-68.
13. Mahmoodi S, Sorkhi L, Farrokhi-Rad M, Shahrabi T. Electrophoretic deposition of hydroxyapatite–chitosan nanocomposite coatings in different alcohols. Surface and Coatings Technology. 2013;216:106-14.
16. Avcu E, Baştan FE, Abdullah HZ, Rehman MAU, Avcu YY, Boccaccini AR. Electrophoretic deposition of chitosan-based composite coatings for biomedical applications: A review. Progress in Materials Science. 2019;103:69-108.
17. Frank LA, Onzi GR, Morawski AS, Pohlmann AR, Guterres SS, Contri RV. Chitosan as a coating material for nanoparticles intended for biomedical applications. Reactive and Functional Polymers. 2020;147:104459.
18. Karimi N, Kharaziha M, Raeissi K. Electrophoretic deposition of chitosan reinforced graphene oxide-hydroxyapatite on the anodized titanium to improve biological and electrochemical characteristics. Materials Science and Engineering: C. 2019;98:140-52.
19. Hahn B-D, Park D-S, Choi J-J, Ryu J, Yoon W-H, Choi J-H, et al. Aerosol deposition of hydroxyapatite–chitosan composite coatings on biodegradable magnesium alloy. Surface and Coatings Technology. 2011;205(8-9):3112-8.
23. Yan Y, Zhang X, Li C, Huang Y, Ding Q, Pang X. Preparation and characterization of chitosan-silver/hydroxyapatite composite coatings onTiO2 nanotube for biomedical applications. Applied Surface Science. 2015;332:62-9.
26. Fatehi K, Moztarzadeh F, Solati-Hashjin M, Tahriri M, Rezvannia M, Saboori A. Biomimetic hydroxyapatite coatings deposited onto heat and alkali treated Ti6Al4V surface. Surface Engineering. 2009;25(8):583-8.
29. Escada ALA, Machado JPB, Schneider SG, Rezende MCRA, Claro APRA. Biomimetic calcium phosphate coating on Ti-7.5Mo alloy for dental application. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine. 2011;22(11):2457-65.
33. Toxicological Profile for Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Public Health Service, Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, Washington, D.C., August, 1985. Journal of Toxicology: Cutaneous and Ocular Toxicology. 1999;18(2):141-7.
34. Kazemi-Choobi K, Khalil-Allafi J, Abbasi-Chianeh V. Influence of recrystallization and subsequent aging treatment on superelastic behavior and martensitic transformation of Ni50.9Ti wires. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 2014;582:348-54.
35. Wang X, Kustov S, Li K, Schryvers D, Verlinden B, Van Humbeeck J. Effect of nanoprecipitates on the transformation behavior and functional properties of a Ti–50.8 at.% Ni alloy with micron-sized grains. Acta Materialia. 2015;82:224-33.
38. Fathyunes L, Khalil-Allafi J, Moosavifar M. Development of graphene oxide/calcium phosphate coating by pulse electrodeposition on anodized titanium: Biocorrosion and mechanical behavior. Journal of the mechanical behavior of biomedical materials. 2019 Feb 1;90:575-86.
39. Fathyunes L, Khalil-Allafi J. Effect of employing ultrasonic waves during pulse electrochemical deposition on the characteristics and biocompatibility of calcium phosphate coatings. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry. 2018;42:293-302.
تعداد مشاهده مقاله: 811
تعداد دریافت فایل اصل مقاله: 513